Wednesday 16 January 2013

Guest Speaker

Today we were treat to a guest speaker, Rob Taylor an experienced camera operator and DOP came in to the film school to have a little chat about his various experiences in the industry. However, Rob is not your normal camera operator, his work is predominantly out in the field making documentaries about wildlife and the environment  Filming in dangerous locales like bear infested marshlands and rivers with man eating cat fish swimming its murky waters. His work is beyond anything I'd ever imagine myself doing but his advice and experiences gave me a good insight of what life might be like when uni comes to an end. 

I think the big realization I had was that as a film maker today you really have to be freelance and with that tag you really need to be ready to move around go to where the work is. Rob has a keen interest in the outdoors and his work has taken him all over the world. Its actually both frightening and exciting thinking that in only a few years time I myself might be required to make such leaps across the world. You have to be brave when chasing work.

His other big piece of advice was the need for students and up and coming filmmakers to really develop their skills and become a product that they can sell to production companies. By learning about cameras, all types of film making, how to edit and getting your driving license are just a few examples of what you need to do to make yourself more employable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.