Friday 3 August 2012

DSLR Filming

After finishing work at The Grand I felt it was important to get my own gear, I need to be able to get some kind of work done independently. I'd heard DSLRs where a good choice for video even though they are designed for still images. I recently bought the Nikon D3100 DSLR camera. I chose to buy this particular model mainly because of the price its obviously on the low end but came with a pretty decent lens.

Immediately I saw why such cameras are preferred by a lot of film makers, the image quality, particularly the depth of field is incredible. It really creates that 'movie' quality most hand held cameras don't get. After some practice I have seen however some glaring flaws, some unique issues that the Nikon D3100 has . Firstly it has no audio output so I cant capture internal audio using a shotgun mic attached. Secondly, the shutter is exposed during filming so the viewfinder is closed leaving the LCD screen the only way to see what your filming. This makes focusing a real hassle, especially when what's on screen is moving around. Another problem with all DSLR is the jelly affect that's created when you move the camera around aggressively or horizontally. Like all film-makers I'm having to learn how to deal with these problems, getting to grips with the technology and understanding its limitations is vital, when I'm story-boarding I need to create shots that the DSLR can achieve.

Whilst researching DSLR cameras I came across the film-maker Philip Bloom who is well known for using DSLR cameras for his own films. He's currently using the Cannon Mrk II, I've now come realize that maybe I should have gone with a Cannon and not Nikon because it seems most film people use Cannons, which is annoying because it wasn't too long after I bought the Nikon that I found this information out. Having said that, I doubt there is to much difference between a low end Nikon and a low end Cannon. Both seem to have the same flaws.

What's important now, for me, is to make sure I build the camera up. Buy the right parts to help me achieve awesome quality. There are the obvious adapters like an extra, larger, monitor to help during filming, an external audio recorder, tripods ect...  Each will cost a lot of cash. Bloom mentioned that using a DSLR right out of the box is probably not going to produce great quality film so I have to make sure whatever adapters I get will benefit the films I making.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.