Sunday 17 February 2013

Role Distance

When it comes to documentary interviewees Dorothy Heathcote developed the Frame Distance theory that can be used as a mode of address in documentary interviews.
  • Participant - I am in the middle of the situation, experiencing it. It is happening to me now. 
  • Observer / Guide - I saw what happened. I can describe for you what I saw and enact the event for you, though I may or may not understand it. I was there.
  • Demonstrator - I re-enact so you can understand. 
  • Authority - I was involved in the event so I can tell you. 
  • Witness - I saw the event and can tell you about it. 
  • Researcher - I need to know of the event.
  • Critic - I interpret the event for you as an event. 
  • Artist - I transform the event. 
By learning and understanding each of these roles I can use this model to enhance any interviews within any documentary I'm working on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.