Tuesday 26 February 2013

Werner Herzog - Into The Abyss, Interview Techniques

Now that I've started doing a lot of work into documentary film making I've been introduced on many occasions to Werner Herzog. A famous German film maker renowned for his documentary work and his ability to bring out incredibly emotional responses from his interviewees.

In our directing class today we were discussing how Herzog brings out these emotional responses and what he seems to do, while interviewing, is avoid the generic question/answer formula of a standard interview. Instead he asks the interviewee to recite stories, or moments in their lives, this allows that person to naturally tap into their subconscious, avoid a rehearsed answer and sometimes brings out a more honest and emotional response.

The opening interview from 'Into The Abyss' was really cool and it just goes to show that there is an art to interviewing. I'll try and have a look at more of his films before I begin filming my own documentary.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.