Saturday 26 March 2011

Nymphs

Having taken a look at Pan, I've now been looking at Nymphs. Pan is said to have been a kind of Shepard to these Nymphs as they are all spirits of the woods and hills.
Nymphs are female and I was thinking about writing a Nymph into my story. I have already said that I want my character to be searching for something; at first I thought he may be searching for a missing relative or a past lover but now I like the idea that perhaps he doesn't know what he is searching for. He arrives at the village with a letter asking him to come, written by someone who knows him but he has no clue as to who they are. The village feels familiar but yet he has never been there before. A lady of the woods could lead him into the dense trees were the woods will claim him.

Here is a line I have read on Wikipedia;


Nymphs tended to frequent areas distant from humans but could be encountered by lone travelers outside the village, where their music might be heard, and the traveler could spy on their dancing or bathing in a stream or pool, either during the noon heat or in the middle of the night. They might appear in a whirlwind. Such encounters could be dangerous, bringing dumbness, besotted infatuation, madness or stroke to the unfortunate human. When parents believed their child to be nereid-struck, they would pray to Saint Artemidos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.