Wednesday 30 March 2011

Space In Film

Having been reading through a few books and thinking about a few ideas myself it's become important for me to really get to grips with the potential of space in film. What can I do with each shot?

I've seen in my reading that the film frame is split into various axes; the X-Axis, the Y Axis, the Z Axis and a combination of the X and Y Axes. By using these lines film-makers can create various moods and impressions that the viewer will subconsciously respond to.



The X Axis, Horizontal - If the camera was to move left to right, the viewer will respond positivity because the direction the camera is moving mimics the direction we (westerners) read, it creates a comfortable setting. Apparently there is a good chance in nearly every film you see the 'good' guy will first make an appearance moving on screen from left to right. But if we flip that round, by moving the camera right to left we can create the opposite effect, making the scene more uncomfortable.

The Y Axis, Vertical - By moving the camera down it again creates an easy, calm setting because of our sense of gravity. Pulling the camera up will give the opposite effect. Also by moving the camera along a straight line at a steady pace creates the assumption all is well, detouring from the straight line will have negative connotations.

XY Axes, Diagonals - Descending Diagonals; Gravity aids the motion of descending diagonals. The descent seems easy, possibly inevitable. It also follows the direction of the reading eye. Ascending Diagonals; Gravity works against the ascending diagonals. It's easier to fall downwards than to move upwards. The right to left ascent is the most difficult of all screen directions because it not only goes against the reading eye but gravity as well.

Z Axis - This is the line that runs from the foreground to the backgroud, it enables us to see the illusion of depth. Depth of field has three planes; foreground, middleground and background.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting stuff, I would like to hear more about this, are there any books you could direct me towards?

    Recently watched '2001: A Space Odyssey'. Cinematic genius my friend, hardly any dialogue as well. I reckon there are a few scenes in that film that could be used in new ways but i'll speak to you about it when I next see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading 'Cinematic Storytelling' its a great book. I bought it in London for about 15 pound, I bet you could get it online much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.