Wednesday 6 April 2011

FMP Presentations.

Yesterday I presented my film project to both Jamie and Andy and thankfully the idea seems to have been well received. As I've already got a cast and film crew in place what seemed to interest them the most is how I'm going to tell the story.

Without having the right shots and without using the visual language film can create the viewers could, perhaps, get the wrong idea and not fully understand the themes being portrayed on screen. For example; the way we see the female character fade in and out of shots could be seen as a ghost or a vision that isn't really there, what I want to create is a sense that she is apart of nature and that's something that cannot be misunderstood.

My two strongest references for the film are 'cinema anime' and the video game 'Folklore', both have incredible imagery and art styles, styles I cannot replicate, but what I can do is really look at creating a series of shots that create a sense of wonder. Yes I'm filming in a wood, so what? What I want to do is highlight colour, especially the green which is the most overpowering colour spread right across each location I have in mind. But, what I also want to do is really look into the language of film, the unspoken dialogue that tells the viewer what is really going on and helps create emotion and intrigue. I'll be having a read of 'Cinematic Storytelling' throughout this project; I've also referenced the book a few times already.

Another important part of the film is costumes and props. For me, before the presentation these were the least of my worries and now they are still just that. But, I would be stupid not to take on board the importance of what the characters are wearing. I think I remember correctly; Andy said if the lead character is returning back to the woods, returning home his personal belongings would seem pointless, he no longer needs them and he would discard them.
I don't want removal of clothing but I like the idea of him tossing his bag to one side, throwing away his phone, why would he need them anyway, he does not fit into society because he is not human, he just behaves like a human would.

I think the way forward for me is to really nail the storyline, I've already mentioned that I want a voice over playing along with the film, narrating the thoughts and feelings of the lead character. In my opinion that aspect of the film needs to stay. So, the three things that need more work right now are; the storyline, the voice over script and the storyboards. If I can work though Easter on these and hopefully get some feedback throughout the holidays from both tutors I can start planning dates to actually film when I get back to college. The film will not move anywhere or change shape if I don't begin work on these three things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.