Tuesday 12 April 2011

The Story So Far

Its important that I write down the basic plot line so far, once its on paper and I can read through the story and it may be easier to see potential flaws and areas I can improve.

So, the story is about two characters; the male is a lost spirit trapped in the human world, unable to escape the rut he finds himself in. He has no knowledge of who he really is only that he has very specific dreams about a village, woods and girl he cannot recognize. The girl is a woodland spirit (a nymph) who is trying to lure the lost spirit back home into the woods.

At first I had the idea that the male character would receive some kind of letter asking him to return to the village, his curiosity gets the better of him and he goes, but now I'm thinking that he gets an eviction letter forcing him out of his house and then he decides to travel, he feels at home when outside, so he packs his bags and leaves. So he travels across the country side, not really planning on going anywhere but subconsciously he is leading himself back home, he then finds himself at the village and suddenly his dreams begin to feel more like memories.

At this point I'm not sure what happens because I planned a few scenes where he visits a grave yard called 'Dreamers Rest' because the letter directs him there and then the nymph reveals herself and takes him into the woods, without the letter I'm not sure why he would visit the graveyard.
I would love to film at that location because its such a beautiful place, nature has taken over and though the graves are those of people time has forgotten them.
Maybe, as he starts to recognize the village he may become curious about his heritage and he visits the graveyard in search of answers? I'll have to think about creating this link.

Anyway, when the nymph reveals herself she transports the lost spirit into the woods (with the help of some camera trickery). The story now becomes a journey of self discovery for the lost spirit, at first he does not trust her but as he follows her they become playful and suddenly he remembers he knows her, the girl in his dreams, the girl from his memories. She leads him into the heart of the woods where they bond and both return to nature.

To give some meat to the 3rd Act if I have to call it that I've been researching various angles such as colour theory and other folklore myths.
I would very much like the nymph to disappear and reappear at times and to show she is one with nature and not a ghost I could very easily plant small flowers to show this and as the lost spirit begins to accept that he is returning home rather then being taken to his doom he discards his bag, phone, and then removes his jacket/jumper which I hope to be of the colour purple ( I'll need to confirm this asap) which symbolizes his return to nature. His final act before returning home is when he eats food given by the nymph, to eat food of this spirit world will bind him to it and so the film ends as they both fade into nature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a msg anytime.